Recently I have been reading and researching gut health and wanted to put together a blog post of useful resources for anyone that wants to learn more.
A great place to start is with any of these blogs:
www.humanfoodproject.com – website of Jeff Leach
www.freetheanimal.com – website of Richard Nikoley
www.vegetablepharm.blogspot.co.uk – website of Tim Steele aka Tatertot
www.mrheisenbug.wordpress.com – website of Shant Mesrobian
www.restoretheflora.com – website of Matt Pepin
- 12 Signs Your Flora is F*cked
- Paleo versus Vegetarian – who eats more fiber?
- How To Cure SIBO, Small Intestinal Bowel Overgrowth: Dr. BG’s 7-Steps Paleo* Gastro IQ SIBO Protocol
- 5 Tell Tale Signs You Need to Get Your Sh!t Together
- The Definitive Guide to Resistant Starch
- Resistant Starch: Your Questions Answered
- Elixa Probiotic – a new UK manufactured high-strength, short-course probiotic.
- Prescript Assist
- Primal Defense Ultra
- Primal Flora
- AOR Probiotic 3 – The enterobacteria contained in ProBiotic 3 act in symbiosis and promote a healthy intestinal flora. Lactic acid and butyric acid-producing probiotics inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria while promoting the growth of the beneficial Bifidobacterium strain.
- Symbioflor – contains the natural intestinal bacteria Enterococcus faecalis and Escherichia coli, in inactive form. Grace Liu recommends this one.
Prebiotics – see blog post here
Videos to watch
- Grace Liu’s talk at the Ancestral Health Symposium 2014
- Rob Knight’s TED talk “How Our Microbes Make Us Who We Are”. Rob Knight is the senior scientist on the American Gut Project.
If you would like to do some testing on your gut microbiome (for fun, not for diagnostic purposes) – visit Ubiome, The American Gut Project (AmGut) www.americangut.org or The British Gut Project www.britishgut.org
Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome
- The Diet Myth by Professor Tim Spector (one of the scientists involved in the British Gut Project)
- Follow Your Gut: The Enormous Impact of Tiny Microbes by Rob Knight
- Bloom: Reconnecting With Your Primal Gut in a Modern World by Jeff Leach (forthcoming book by the folks at Human Food Project)
- The Gut Makeover by Jeannette Hyde
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis with Parasitology from Biolab UK – www.biolab.co.uk
- FloraPrint £300 from Cambridge Nutritional Sciences – www.camnutri.com
- Candida Overgrowth £65 from Cambridge Nutritional Sciences – www.camnutri.com
- BH #401H – GI Pathogen Screen with H. pylori Antigen from Bio Health – www.biohealthlab.com
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis with Parasitology x3 from Doctors Data – www.doctorsdata.com
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis / Parasitology ™(CDSA/P) from Genova Diagnostics (formerly Metametrix) – www.gdx.net
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis from Great Plains Laboratory – www.greatplainslaboratory.com
- You can also get your gut bacteria sequenced from uBiome (but this cannot be reliably used as a diagnostic tool) – www.ubiome.com. Read my blog post on my uBiome experience