Goulash is a traditional Hungarian beef stew, which is richly flavoured with paprika and perfect for chilly Autumn/Winter evenings. Use cheaper shin of beef for a meltingly tender stew that is also great value for money. If you use good quality homemade beef stock this dish will be even more nutritious. Fry the vegetables and the beef in lard if you have it, if not use a mixture of olive oil and butter/ghee. If you eat dairy, then this is lovely served with a generous spoonful of sour cream.
Grass-fed Meat Suppliers
- Eversfield Organic: http://ocado.com/webshop/product/Eversfield-Organic-Beef-Shin-Grass-Fed/249567011?from=search&tags¶m=Stewing+Beef&parentContainer=SEARCHStewing+Beef_SHELFVIEW
- Daylesford Organic: http://ocado.com/webshop/product/Daylesford-Organic-Aberdeen-Angus-Diced-Braising-Beef/64329011?from=search&tags¶m=Stewing+Beef&parentContainer=SEARCHStewing+Beef_SHELFVIEW
- Method :
- Cut the beef into cubes and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle over the 2 tbsp of paprika and stir well to coat.
- Heat the lard in a large frying pan and add the beef. Fry until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pan along with the bay leaves, tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir everything together and cook for 5 minutes then add the stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer on a low heat for 2-3 hours. Add more stock if needed to prevent the stew drying out. At this point you could add the stew to a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for up to 8 hours. If using a slow cooker you only need to add enough stock to cover since it will not boil away (you should add the amount of liquid that you want to end up with at the end).
- After 2 hours add the peppers and the mushrooms to the pan and stir, then allow the stew to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkled with the chopped parsley and a spoonful of sour cream.