Roasted Beetroot and Orange
By : Paleo Britain December 23rd, 2014
Beetroot and orange is a tried and tested combination. The fresh citrus zing balances the beetroot’s earthy savoury flavour wonderfully. Paired up with a little thyme and honey, the results are delicious.
- Method :
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Prepare the beetroot by carefully peeling them and neatly trimming the top and bottom ends. Cut each in half and place in a bowl.
- Cut the orange in half, top to bottom (rather than horizontally). Squeeze the juice of one half over the beetroot. Cut the remaining half into thin slices and add them to the bowl with the beetroot.
- Pick the thyme from its stalks and add to the bowl, reserving a few whole stalks for garnish. Add the coriander seed, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and spread out onto a baking tray/into a baking dish.
- Cover the tray/dish with foil and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes the beetroot should be relatively tender. Remove the foil covering and drizzle over the honey. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C and roast the beetroot, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with a few fresh sprigs of thyme and a final seasoning of black pepper.