This sugar-free granola makes a wonderful breakfast served on top of creamy coconut yogurt, or with cold coconut or nut milk. Add a handful of fresh berries, a drizzle of raw honey and extra toppings of your choice (bee pollen, hemp seeds, chia seeds, goji berries, raisins etc.)
If you do want to make the granola sweeter you can add 1-2 tbsp. of honey or maple syrup to the mixture before you bake it, but I don’t find this to be necessary.
- Method :
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Place the nuts in the food processor and pulse until chopped into smaller pieces. Place the chopped nuts and seeds into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small pan place the blueberries, fresh ginger, coconut oil and cinnamon. Heat very gently, stirring, until the blueberries break down. Place the mixture into the food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Stir the blueberry mixture thoroughly into the nuts and seeds until everything is well coated.
- Line a large baking tray with tin foil. Spread the granola mixture out evenly until you have a layer only about 1cm thick.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the granola is very dry but not burnt. I set a timer and check after every 10 minutes to ensure the granola does not burn. Turn after 20 minutes to ensure the granola cooks evenly. Sometimes I turn the oven off after 30 minutes and leave the granola with the oven door ajar to dry it out at a lower heat. If you did not soak the nuts and used dried nuts then the granola will only need about 20 minutes in the oven.
- Allow to cool and then mix in the dried blueberries and dried coconut flakes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last around 3 weeks in the fridge.