Chicken thigh meat is higher in nutrients compared to the breast meat, and tastier too. It is a good source of vitamin K2. This makes around 40 meatballs which is plenty for 4 adults, or 2 adults and 2 children with enough for a second children’s meal another day.
My children like these – the meatballs have a soft texture that is perfect for little ones, particularly if they are not keen on chewing meat. The meatballs are suitable for freezing. You could make a batch and freeze in portions so that you have a quick and easy kids meal in the freezer. You can cook these straight from frozen by baking in a preheated oven (200 degrees Celsius) for 20-25 minutes.
- Method :
- Chop the cauliflower into florets. Place in a pan, cover with boiling water and boil for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, finely chop the onion. I use the food processor for this since I will be using it to make the burger mix.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of cooking fat in a large frying pan and fry the onion with a pinch of sea salt for 5 minutes without colouring.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, drain and allow to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Blitz the cauliflower in a food processor with the butter to make a smooth puree. Alternatively mash the cauliflower by hand. Keep half of the puree warm to serve with the meatballs and add the other half to the food processor or into a large mixing bowl. If you cooked two cauliflowers then just use a quarter of the puree in the meatballs.
- Place the chicken thighs (or mince), bacon, chives and basil into the processor or mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked onions and half of the cauliflower to the meat mixture and blitz until you have a smooth mixture. Alternatively, mix everything thoroughly with your hands.
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs. You could also shape them into small burgers. You want them to only be about 1-1.5cm thick if making burgers so that they cook quickly.
- Heat a further 1-2 tbsp. of your cooking fat and fry the meatballs or burgers for around 5 minutes (burgers might need longer), turning frequently until completely cooked through.
- Serve with the cauliflower mash and something green.