Grilled Aubergines with Quinoa & Spinach
By : Paleo Britain May 18th, 2017
A lovely light, meat-free dinner for May using seasonal ingredients: aubergine, spinach, chilli and spring onions.
- Method :
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water to remove its bitter flavour.
- Tip into a pan and add double the amount of salted water (or for a nutrient boost cook the quinoa in bone broth).
- Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa up with a fork.
- Ideally use a griddle pan to cook the aubergines. Brush each aubergine slice with some olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Heat a griddle pan or barbecue. When hot, griddle the aubergine slices for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and tender.
- If you don’t have a griddle pan – preheat your grill. Line a baking sheet with foil. Grease the sheet lightly with olive oil. Lay the oiled aubergine slices on the baking sheet and grill until lightly browned. Turn the slices and grill again.
- While the aubergine is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan, add the raw spinach and half the chopped garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, constantly stirring, until the spinach wilts. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl add the wilted spinach and the quinoa, then add the additional garlic, spring onions, chilli and coriander. Dress with olive oil, salt, pepper and a good squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Divide the quinoa mixture between two plates and top with the grilled aubergine slices. Squeeze a little more lemon or lime over everything and serve.