Perfect food for summer barbecue weather! Quick to make, leave them in the fridge to marinate, and whack them on the barbie… delicious! The skewers can also be grilled and make a nice dinner party starter.
The prawns lend themselves to a teriyaki-style marinade, which is given below, though they work equally as well using Thai-style chilli, lime, coriander combinations, or classic Mediterranean lemon, garlic, and parsley. Experiment away…
- Method :
- Place the bamboo skewers in a dish and cover them with cold water. Allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Some prawns may come ready-prepared. If in the shell, remove this and discard the head. Ensure that the black vein down the back of the prawn has been removed: to do this, simply run a sharp knife down the curved back of the peeled prawn and pull out the vein.
- Grate the root ginger into a bowl using the fine side of the grater (no need to peel the ginger first). Gather up the grated pulp and squeeze it into the bowl to extract the juice. Discard the squeezed pulp.
- Add the ginger juice, chilli, coconut aminos, honey, date sugar, lime juice and garlic to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir to dissolve the honey and date sugar, then transfer to a dish to cool.
- Once cooled, add the prawns, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once marinated, feed three prawns on to each skewer and place them on a hot barbecue or griddle pan (or they can also be grilled). Cook for 2-3 minutes on either side, basting every minute with the marinade mixture.
- Serve immediately with an Asian style salad or green leaf.