Veggie: Stuffed Squash with Rice and Feta
By : Paleo Britain December 23rd, 2014
Fresh, tangy feta works as the perfect counter to the sweet butternut squash in this recipe. A perfect match! For best results, cook your rice the day before you intend to use it.
- Method :
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Halve the butternut squash through its length and remove the seeds. Using a sharp utility knife, carefully cut away some of the flesh from inside each half of butternut squash. Finely dice the flesh and place to one side.
- Gently heat half of the oil in a frying pan and cook the shallot until softened. Add the diced butternut squash and fennel seeds, and fry for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil followed by the mushrooms. Cook until softened. Add the mushrooms to the bowl along with the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture back into the butternut squash shells. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet, season, and place them in the oven too.
- After 25 minutes, remove the foil and return to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes.
- To serve, remove the squash and top with the roast cherry tomatoes, basil, and crumbled feta cheese.