A collaboration of fishermen and food scientists, working to create a truly natural & authentic cod liver oil.
I recently discovered a new Fermented Cod Liver Oil (FCLO) that is made here in the UK. The name of this oil is Armorica Oil. I am already a huge fan of this product for the following reasons:
- Natural Process: Using a traditional extraction method, Armorica avoid the use of harsh chemicals and ensure that none of the nutrients in the cod liver oil are damaged or removed.
- Made with UK Cod: The Atlantic Cod used to make this cod liver oil come from UK fisheries, supporting the UK fishermen. The UK fishing industry is a world leader in traceability & sustainability.
- Independently Tested: Armorica’s Fermented Cod Liver Oil is tested by third party independent laboratories to ensure a high quality product. They publish tests results online so customers can be informed.
What will you find in this article?
Armorica Fermented Cod Liver Oil Key Points
- Made with cod caught by UK fishermen– All the cod livers used to make Armorica Fermented Cod Liver Oil comes from UK fisheries.
- No synthetic vitamins – By using a gentle extraction method they do not remove any of the naturally occurring nutrients. All the vitamins present in the oil are naturally occurring.
- Cold processed – No heat is used to create the cod liver oil, which means all the fatty acids are in their triglyceride form.
- Sustainable– UK fisheries adhere to the highest standards of sustainability and traceability. The cod livers used are all from sustainable and healthy stock.
- 100% Atlantic Cod– Armorica only use Atlantic Cod (gadus morhua) to produce their fermented cod liver oil, to produce the highest quality oil.
More Info About Armorica Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Armorica are a small collaboration of fishermen and food/ laboratory scientists who together, have worked to create an authentic natural cod liver oil.
Armorica is a small scale cod liver oil producer based in the UK. They utilise an extraction method that was used by ancient Celtic tribes throughout Northern Europe, which avoids the use of harsh chemicals and undesirable conditions that can damage the cod liver oil. It has taken many years to perfect this, and they are extremely proud of their product.
Armorica use cod caught by UK fishermen in the Atlantic Ocean to help support the UK fishing industry and ensure the cod are caught in a responsible and sustainable manner. Sustainability is important to them, and they do everything they can to reduce their carbon footprint.
By fermenting small batches of fresh cod livers, the nutritious oil is gently released where it can be easily filtered off. This avoids the need for harsh chemicals, long storage times and damaging conditions which can reduce the quality of the oil.
By using this gentle extraction method, Armorica Fermented Cod Liver Oil contains all the nutrients found in cod liver oil in the natural state. The omega-3 fatty acids are in their natural triglyceride form, and the vitamins are all naturally occurring in the oil. No synthetic vitamins are added.
Additionally, Armorica Fermented Cod Liver Oil contains a whole host of other nutrients which are naturally present in cod liver oil. These include a wide range of healthy poly-unsaturated fats, lesser known omega-3 fatty acids such as DPA and much more.
Armorica Fermented Cod Liver oil is mixed with unbleached beeswax to thicken the oil. This is done to make filling the capsule easier. Beeswax was chosen as a thickener for a number of reasons. It is safe to eat and it is a completely natural. It would also have been available to the Celtic tribes in North Europe, which inspired this product.
Origin Of Armorica Fermeted Cod Liver Oil
When Northern Europe was inhabited by Celtic tribes, it was common to ferment foods. Fish were often fermented to produce nourishing sauces, similar to sauces made in Asia today. Some recipes called for specific organs of certain fish to be fermented. This produced a high quality and strength giving sauce, and it is this same technique that Armorica use to produce their fermented cod liver oil.
One region in Brittany, which juts out into the Atlantic Ocean, was renowned for producing the best quality sauce. It even maintained this reputation throughout the Roman expansion into Europe. This area in Brittany was called Armorica, and it is this region which inspired this wonderful product.
Armorica try and be as environmentally orientated as possible. All orders are shipped in recyclable cardboard boxes, and the packaging material is wood wool, which can be composted.